Electrical work does more than just power your light bulbs and outlets; your health and home depend on quality wiring and electrical design to prevent injury and maintain safe property. From older homes with outdated or damaged to brand new homes with hastily installed electrical systems, homeowners need to be proactive. Your best action is to call upon trusted local electricians for careful, knowledgeable inspection and repairs.
Making safe choices for household electrical systems
Just because electrical wiring works does not mean it operates safely. Consult with local electricians and discover safe practices you may not know about—and correct problems from previous homeowners.
- Grounding. Older homes may not be grounded at all, and a previous owner may have had inferior electrical work done. Improper grounding may lead to fires and electric shock for you, your family, or your pets.
- GFCI outlets. These are the special outlets with test and reset buttons. They’re especially useful in kitchens and bathrooms, but local electricians might recommend installing them anywhere near water or for heightened safety elsewhere in the home.
- Damaged or improper wiring. Amateurish electrical work such as mismatched amperage between wires and breakers can lead to safety hazards and electrical problems.
Quality matters: wiring design and installation
When a new home gets wired or a renovation project involves new wiring, a high-quality wiring design can prevent future shock and fire risks.
Local electricians with more experience and skill can protect against immediate and long-term safety issues:
- Quality over-current protection to protect against problems with appliances
- Number and location of outlets so you don’t need to overuse adapters, extension cords, and power strips
- Materials and wiring designed with high-tech electronics and appliances in mind
- Careful installation, including proper placement of cables and outlet receptacles
Inspecting your pre-owned home for safety
When moving into an older home, call on local electricians to conduct a thorough survey of the property’s electrical wiring. As times have changed, so have electrical needs. The house may have passed minimum legal inspections, but is the wiring capable of handling 21st century needs?
Modern electronics from home entertainment systems to solar energy panels and beyond will require appropriate electrical wiring to function safely and efficiently. Local electricians with residential expertise can help retrofit and upgrade your property’s wiring to meet modern requirements.
Avoiding the safety hazards of DIY projects
Many homeowners undertake DIY projects to feel involved with their property’s upkeep and maybe even save some money. When it comes to electrical work, however, the risks tend to outweigh the benefits for people without real electrical experience and knowledge
Safety risks lingering after a DIY project can put your health and home in great danger. Even a relatively small job like replacing an electrical outlet—when performed slightly incorrectly—pose a legitimate risk of house fire or a person getting shocked.
Are you an amateur? Call your local electricians to help with any renovation or home addition that calls for electrical work.
If you’re planning house work, buying or selling your home, or searching for answers to problems like hot outlets or tripping breakers, call for help. Local electricians can detect and correct electrical safety issues to protect your health and property.